Engine of Growth
The council is led by Cllr Simon Tagg, and there are 44 members from the following parties:
- 18 Conservative
- 19 Labour
- 3 Liberal Democrats
- 4 Independents
The borough has around 129,000 residents and our vision is “Good local services, a prosperous borough, and safe and welcoming places for all”.
To deliver this we have developed four priorities:-
- Local Services that Work for Local People
- Growing our People and Places
- A Healthy, Active and Safe Borough
- A Town Centre for all.
We’re committed to strong and sustainable economic growth for the borough, focusing upon opportunities around Keele University, Newcastle Town Centre and Kidsgrove. Our strong partnership with Staffordshire County Council has enabled the publication of our new Growth Deal. The Deal is designed to ensure economic growth that delivers housing, jobs and entrepreneurial opportunities so that Newcastle-under-Lyme and its communities can thrive.
The key principles for the Growth Deal are:
- To identify key priorities for delivering an inclusive growth agenda in the context of NBC’s Economic Development Strategy.
- To fund the necessary infrastructure wherever possible (highways, education, health and leisure) through development.
- In those instances where we have agreed capital investment priorities we will seek to reinvest in whole or in part any value captured from land/property rationalisation.
- Focus on a small number of priorities that are feasible, achievable and will make a difference.
- Proactive intervention in growth and development activities.
The key deliverables are:
- To contribute towards the delivery of housing and employment targets as set out in the emerging Joint Local Plan.
- To deliver inclusive economic and business growth by supporting a high performing, relevant and responsive education and skills system.
- To be a place where improved health and wellbeing is experienced by all with a focus on economic and community growth in Newcastle and Kidsgrove Town Centres, along with Knutton and Keele and their surrounding areas.